Wednesday 11 July 2012

Black cat syndrome


Black cat syndrome

NAME: 
LOCATION: UNITED KINGDOM

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2004

Black cat theory

It has been happening for a few days now . Not everyday but most of the days.

In the morning when I get out for work, I open the communal door leading the way out of my apartment building. And a pitch black cat crosses my way.

Instinctively I retract 10 steps backwards , get back to my apartment sit down on the sofa, drink some water, take a breather and make a mental note of all the things that I could have potentially forgotten like the id card, the wallet , mobile phone and umbrella and check if I have them in my bag , mentally compose myself and walk out once again and head for work.


In the village that my grandpa lived in , the black cats were not as fat as the one outside my apartment door. But black cats, they nevertheless were. Whenever he stepped out, and if a black cat or a young widow crossed his way , he would retract ten steps backwards and come back irritated. Grandma would bring him a glass of water. He would take two sips, even if he was not thirsty and then head to the farm lands which he owned to supervise the harvest .

I am glad, none of my neighbours have seen this bizarre action of mine. I mean walking 10 steps backwards. That is because on most days in the morning, when I get out I am usually late for work and most of them have already started out for work , by the time I leave.

I have always written down new year and birthday resolutions to get out for work on time if not before time. But have never been able to keep it up. This year too I may not be able to add this to my new year resolution list, it this black cat menace persists.

It invariably happens everytime I am running late for work. Phew … these fat black cats…

If not for these animal right activists , I would have liked to shoot down all of them, especially the ones that cross your path when you get out for work.

Today , I was running about 15 minutes late for work. The fat black cat once again crossed my way. I decided to be brave. I ignored the fellow and walked past .

I am now in office thoroughly drenched in rain , shivering with cold when I am writing this blog. I think I am going to catch a severe cold. If I die of pneumonia at this young age ( Just like Alexander the great) please take this as my dying declaration and make sure that the black cat outside my apartment door is hanged to death .

On second thoughts … please don’t … Not that I am scared of these animal right activists or anyting like that. Forgive the poor black cat for it knows not what it does.

Everytime it crosses my path, I get back to the apartment , sit down on the sofa, drink some water, make a mental note of all the things that I could have potentially forgotten like the id card, the wallet , mobile phone and umbrella and take them with me.

More often than not it is my umbrella.

************

CAT SPEAK … meow…meow

On a cloudy morning when it is dark and cold, my sixth sense ( Human beings think cats do not have one … I guess they have not done enough scientific research on this) tells me that it is going to rain. 


Since I do not want to be a shivering wet cat, I take refuge under the shade of the apartment door of this lazy woman who wakes up late on cold mornings and gets late to work everyday. Everytime I take refuge outside her apartment door, this silly woman abruptly pushes open her door to get out for work . 
My heart skips a few beats when she undertakes this sudden act.
I panick , jump out and run away into the open.

And then she does this bizarre, thing.

She walks 10 steps backwards and gets back to the apartment and then emerges out after sometime. By then I am thouroughly drenched in the rain like a ‘wet cat’ since it is pouring ‘cats and dogs’. 

Someday If I die of pneumonia at this young age ( Just like Alexander the great) please take this as my dying declaration and make sure that the lazy woman living inside the apartment is hanged to death .

On second thoughts … please don’t … Not that I am scared of these human right activists or anyting like that. Forgive the lazy woman for she knows not what she does. She has probably realized the plight that I have been going through and walked out today without doing her bizarre act of walking ten steps backwards, getting into her apartment an emerging out five minutes later to go out for work.

I think she is getting sensible.

I did not get drenched in the rain today. Unlike other days when I would wait outside in the rain till she got out. I would be shivering and would spend the whole day with a bad cold.

Meow … meow…

****************************
I am shivering and have caught a bad cold .
I have learnt my lesson.

Never ignore a black cat that crosses your path. It can bring you unforeseen misery .
It can ruin your day if not an entire week as I suspect it is in my case right now.

Grandpa was a wise man . He never went ahead when a black cat crossed his path. He had enough wisdom to believe that black cats can bring unforeseen troubles.

I guess the same applied to young widows … who knows … men are after all susceptible to temptations …




No comments:

Post a Comment